Your Ad Here

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My list for the best films of the 70's


Well...I knew I forget at least one filmmaker, and sure enough I did: the great Bernardo Bertolucci. His The Conformist is a masterpiece and would have certainly placed in the top 50 somewhere...perhaps I thought it came out in the late 60's, I don't know, but I'm sorry I omitted it. So, there, that's me rectifying the problem. This list was a lot of fun to construct, but just like any kind of comprehensive list, it's all pretty arbitrary, because I could easily justify any film in my top 5 being in the number one slot. Although, the more I think about it the more I feel good about the choice I went with (my all time favorite film from my all time favorite filmmaker). Construct your own lists or if you want discuss my list, here in the comments if you'd like, but I would prefer you head over to Wonders in the Dark, who is hosting this big 'ol shindig. My list comes after the jump...


Supplementary list:
50.) Play it Again, Sam (Allen)
49.) The Outlaw Josey Wales (Eastwood)
48.) The Conversation (Coppola)
47.) Mean Streets (Scorsese)
46.) Star Wars (Lucas)
45.) Night Moves (Penn)
44.) Monty Python’s The Life of Brian (Jones)
43.) Five Easy Pieces (Raffelson)
42.) Small Change (Truffaut)
41.) A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavettes)
40.) The Exorcist (Friedkin)
39.) The Last Waltz (Scorsese)
38.) The Last Detail (Ashby)
37.) Animal House (Landis)
36.) Claire’s Knee (Rohmer)
35.) Day for Night (Truffaut)
34.) Walkabout (Roeg)
33.) Three Days of the Condor (Pollack)
32.) Fellini Satyricon (Fellini)
31.) Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (Grau)
30.) Aguirre, The Wrath of God (Herzog)
29.) Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song (Van Peebles)
28.) Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (Fulci)
27.) Autumn Sonata (Bergman)
26.) Black Christmas (Clark)

Now the top 25:

25.) McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Altman)
24.) Picnic at Hanging Rock (Weir)
23.) The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Peckinpah)
22.) Amarcord (Fellini)
21.) Bay of Blood (Bava)
20.) Dirty Harry (Siegel)
19.) Suspiria (Argento)
18.) Interiors (Allen)
17.) Halloween (Carpenter)
16.) 3 Women (Altman)
15.) Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Herzog)
14.) Don’t Look Now (Roeg)
13.) Deep Red (Argento)
12.) Nashville (Altman)
11.) Scenes from a Marriage (Bergman)
10.) Alien (Scott)
9.) Taxi Driver (Scorsese)
8.) The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich)
7.) Days of Heaven (Malick)
6.) Chinatown (Polanski)
5.) Le Cercle Rouge (Melville)
4.) The Godfather Saga (Parts 1 and 2) (Coppola) (Yes I view these two as a whole)
3.) Barry Lyndon (Kubrick)
2.) Apocalypse Now (Coppola)
1.) Cries and Whispers (Bergman)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...