Your Ad Here

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Making Hats For Comme Des Garcons Spring-Summer 2010. London Part 3

In continuation of the description of my adventures in London this past Fall I would like to tell you about my work on hats for Comme Des Garcons Spring Summer 2010 Collection. I would have to say that this task was one of the most interesting by far. Rei Kawakubo of Comme Des Garcons is held in such an admiration and regard as fashion's leading conceptualist and individualist. She is also known known as a woman of few words. So, we were not surprised at all when her request to us was something like this:" I would like you to use materials you would never think of using for hats. Oh, yes...and if you could make it in such a way that just to look at a hat like this would make you sick, that would be fantastic"
Mr. Jones, of course, had few tricks up his sleeve and did not hesitate a second with suggestions (blew my roof off!) of use of the most unexpected materials you could imagine. Since Rei Kawakubo did not have a slightest idea of what exactly she envisions in terms of hats for her Collection, we decided to create several options thinking that this way Rei would have a choice. Well, we tryed our best to create "sick" hats.:-) A vinyl disc was melted under high temperatures and shaped into hat. Then the 2 liter plastic bottle was melted using the same technique to create the illusion of water draping around the face.
This "plasticmelting" technique was one of the most interesting discoveries I have made while working in Mr. Jones Atelier. Who knew that the result can be so spectacular!? This technique is also very difficult to master since the material (plastic or vinyl) has to be "styled" into hat under extremely high temperatures.We got so carried away that created few more hats (they were not included in the show) out of plastic cups, post office packing materials and cotton balls.We topped ourselves: the hats were to sick even for Rei.:-)))). The ones that at the end were chosen for the Collection were made out of billion make-up pads. We emptied every "Boots" store with in the 10 mile radius of the Atelier to get the necessary amount of make-up pads. :-)
Comme Des Garcons is one of my favorite brands and I was thrilled to be able to make hats for their Spring Summer 2010 Collection. My dear friend Marc once told me that the true lady can make three things out of nothing at all : a salad, a scandal and a hat. I remember objecting to the last part of this statement knowing all too well how difficult it is to create a beautiful hat. Well, I take my words back. Mr. Jones taught me that, apparently, it is more than possible to create hat out of nothing. Well...almost nothing.:-)
Comme Des Garcons Spring-Summer 2010, Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...